IT’S NO GREAT MYSTERY WHY YOU’VE NEVER HEARD OF US!
This is the story of how Inwall Store came together and how it works as it does today.
If you’ve heard of us, it’s not because you saw us in an expensive magazine ad, or slick magazine product review. Magazine ads and reviews take a lot of time and money, and don’t improve a company’s products or service. We use what’s called a product-focused business model. This simply means that we choose to focus our efforts (and money) on developing new products and improving our existing products. We also choose to work directly with our customers (few dealers and no distributors). This provides us with direct, immediate feedback, and helps us improve our product in a more effective manner. Another plus for the customer is that our pricing is extremely competitive, as there is no middle man.
If you’ve heard of us, we hope it’s because someone you ran into along the way….a friend or an acquaintance perhaps….recommended our speakers. (Many thanks to all of you who are getting the word out.)
We feel that a recommendation from a friend or acquaintance is much better than recommendation from a magazine. This is why we focus our efforts on making top-notch products, and satisfying our customers rather than ‘getting press’.
We’re a pure e-commerce business;
HERE'S HOW IT WORKS
We started selling a new brand of speakers called JA Audio back in 2003. They were great. They were just starting out and had reached out to us to sell their stuff. They didn’t have great pictures or a stellar website, so we started promoting the heck out of them and found there was a market for inwall speakers. Over time, they got bigger and tried to scale up. They started offering their product to other sites and those sites started undercutting the prices and began to slow down the brand for us. Around this same time, companies like JBL, Parasound, NXG, Russound and more began to cut off the distributors who were selling to online retailers to protect larger retailers and began to implement Minimum Selling Price agreements to maximize their dealers profit. We were selling fewer and fewer brands.
In 2007, we started to figure out we could make our own brand, much like JA Audio. The result was InwallTech. In fact, the first deposit for the brand was made the week of the beginning of The Great Recession of 2008. It’s probably the best decision we ever made!
Derek turned out to have some great products already in form with basic tools available in China. We had an idea of what we wanted in a speaker based on performance and on price point. That product line was the ProGold Series. Since then, we’ve produced the High Definition Series and the latest ProTrim Series. We’ve rounded out the line with a volume control and speaker selectors.
With Tony joining our team, we added new inventory to our product line. So in addition to selling our own brand of speakers, we started reselling quite a few speakers and accessories from OEM Systems. OEM produces the Architech brand of speakers that fill in nicely below our Inwalltech. Tony is much like myself, except he’s been through a few more rodeos! You can read about Tony here.
Irfan, our web development guy lives in Pakistan. We found him on the Elance platform when we put a bid out for some custom coding work within our shopping cart software. He turned out to be a polished gem among the sea of freelancers out there. It’s kind of nice working with someone 13 time zones away, as we can go about our business during our day and let him do his work in our evening. Kinda perfect.
Our phone voice is that of The Answer Network out of Virginia. Mandi is our lead person there and in charge of keeping the operators up to date with how our back-end system works to look up tracking numbers and other order details. We don’t put too much of a load on these folks in terms of product information as they aren’t experts, and we’re not going to try to kid you that they are what they are not. We handle all the technical calls ourselves via Calend.ly by scheduling an exact time to expect your call to arrive. If you have a question about system planning, try our Inwallstore scheduled calls.
Now, you might be wondering how the rest of the company’s divisions are functioning. The answer lies in sub-contracting. We don’t have a marketing department, a shipping department, a web team, or even an operations team. We’re on our own, and we’re multinational!
AND FOR FUN: 21 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT US
- We have shipping locations in the US’ lower 48 states in all 4 time zones.
- We have our first dollar made on display.
- We have 2 “That was Easy” Staples buttons.
- We use mostly Apple computers.
- We don’t keep credit card numbers.
- Everybody in the company sees all our emails.
- Brian is doing this in his spare time.
- We use Voice Over Internet type phones.
- We celebrate ‘Maple Bar Thursdays.’
- We use colored paperclips.
- During the winter, we might be harvesting firewood for our woodstove.
- In 2005, the whole company went on vacation and did business in Puerto Vallarta.
- Our first order from the website came in while the owner was on vacation….again in Mexico.
- We keep cute animal day calendars and tape the cutest ones up on a wall.
- We have casual Fridays…and Thursdays…and Wednesdays…and well you get it.
- We owned a red Prius for company errands. The license frame said “…ya it’s got a Hemi”. It got totaled in 2019.
- The current website is the 7th version of redesigns in 17 years.
- We take most of our own pictures of products with a photo box called PhotoSimile.
- We’ve wired 12,000 square foot houses in the past.
- We still have pictures of most our installation pre-wires.
- We take it personal to get it right.